1.11.2011

Charmed


Charmed on Facebook is the first of what is likely to be a new trend in marketing through the social network.  And, it just so happens that she (Ingrid Anne) is selling jewelry.

Alongside an established website, the facebook page features an interactive (although slightly glitchy) feature that allows a user to "customize" a necklace by choosing between a variety of chain and charm styles.  The price automatically updates as you make your selections and totals below.

Although the choices are not the most appealing  -  I am really intrigued by the concept.  Offering the user/viewer/customer the ability to feel like they are making choices in the final product has been a proven as a positive marketing trick.  Secondly, there is no hovering salesperson and no feeling of commitment for the user.  And... lastly and perhaps most intriguing to me is - its on Facebook - the most trafficked and accessible place on the planet. 

Charmed might just be the beginning of a whole new way of marketing and selling products online.  Smart - yes.  Will I be doing it - probably never.  Although... I do see some potential for smaller sellers/businesses/craftspeople here. 

My only fear is that Facebook becomes the new (or some might argue "even bigger") target for junk mail and marketing.

I'm interested in what everyone else thinks! 

1 comment:

  1. That's really interesting! That's something that Etsy doesn't offer, with the ability to allow custmers to customize their order and to update price changes for each choice. I'll be interested to see how well this works. I probably wouldn't use it anytime soon either, mostly because I don't have time for something like that right now, but I'm intersted to see where it goes!

    ReplyDelete