7.07.2009

Sweet Reuse: Contemporary Container Architecture


Images Courtesy:
http://www.jetsongreen.com/2009/06/maison-idekit-shipping-container-homes.html



I've often thought how cool it would be to make homes/buildings out of containers. Check it out:

The residential Quebec home pictured above consists of seven recycled shipping containers. Architect Bernard Morin and his wife, Joyce Labelle, was built as the very first of many to come from their new company: Maison Idekit. The goal: to "help homeowners turn containers into architecturally unique, and inexpensive, homes."

"IDEKIT's first home is 3,000 square feet with four-bedrooms. It cost about $175,000 to build", not much different than homes already on the market of similar stature.... but a little greener.



Sweet Idea + Sweet Design.

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    Nice post on container architecture. I also recently started a Blogger blog on sustainable design, called Inside the Brackets

    I hope you will consider following progress on a container architecture project (here) that my firm [1016] Architecture Inc. is designing right now for eventual build in Michigan. Take a look and let me know what you think.

    Keep up the blogging!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most beautiful houses I've ever seen! And I've always liked the idea of using those crates

    ReplyDelete